Friday, February 26, 2010

Cancel for February 27: International and Great Northern Railroad


Printed Cancel:

I  &  G  N  R  R

Handstamp Cancel:

I.  &  G.  N.  R.  R.  CO.
FEB
27
1900


Many railroads used printed cancels on the 1 cent battleship documentary for their use on waybills.  Far fewer used them on the 2 cent documentary.  The International & Great Northern Railroad was a railroad that primarily operated in the U.S. state of Texas.  The I&GN, like other railroads of its time, had many financial troubles and went into receivership on several occasions. Jay Gould acquired control of the I&GN in December, 1880, but was forced to sell it in the early 1920s. Finally, on March 1, 1956, the I&GN was bought by the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company and became a major part of its network.

 

I&GNRR Map

No comments:

Post a Comment